Accidents and illnesses come unannounced. You can never be too careful when it comes to your and your family’s health. That is why choosing comprehensive health insurance plans for families is essential. While a basic health insurance plan covers your medical and hospitalization costs, there are add-ons available with health insurance that could be proven very helpful. The domiciliary cover is one such add-on.
What is a domiciliary cover?
Domiciliary cover in your health insurance covers a situation where you or your family member need continuous medical attention but cannot move to a hospital. It is also known as home hospitalization.
Health insurance plans for family/individuals will let you claim domiciliary cover under three situations:
- The treatment lasts more than 72 hours.
- You or your family member cannot move to a medical facility due to the severity of the illness. You should be able to produce a doctor’s certificate in this case.
- If there is an unavailability of hospital beds nearby.
Just like in a hospital, you can claim either cashless or cash facility, subject to the availability of services and terms of the insurance provider.
When can you not claim domiciliary cover?
Some situations where your insurance provider will not let you claim domiciliary cover. They are –
- Post-hospitalisation care is not covered. This includes post-surgery care.
- Some diseases are excluded from domiciliary cover. They are –
- Cough, cold, or influenza
- Chronic nephritis
- Pyrexia of unknown origin
- Diabetes mellitus or insipidus
- Diarrhea, dysentery, and gastro-enteritis
- Arthritis, gout, or rheumatism
- Tonsillitis and Upper Respiratory Tract Infection
- Psychiatric or psychosomatic disorders
How can you buy a domiciliary cover?
Domiciliary cover cannot be bought on its own. Instead, it can be added to your primary health insurance plan. Domiciliary cover will have the same benefits, coverage, expiry, and terms and conditions as that of your base insurance plan. You can opt for both cashless hospitalization and reimbursement coverage, according to availability and the terms and conditions of your health insurance policy. You can add on a domiciliary cover to your existing plan or start a new project with a domiciliary cover included. Online health insurance websites can make the whole process easy and paperless for you. * Standard T&C Apply
What is the importance of domiciliary cover?
The domiciliary cover could be a lifesaver in many situations, especially if you have senior citizens in your home. If you have proper coverage, you or your loved ones could take the medical help needed without burning a hole in your pocket.
Health insurance is a necessity in modern times. As the standard of care increases, the cost also does. Here, the right health insurance policy will help you tremendously. Choosing the right plan and the right add-ons are the key. Compare health insurance online and determine what is right for you today! Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.